Friday, June 8, 2012

My First Munny

So about 3 months ago i decided that to pick up a basic Munny vinyl doll kit. I have known about these for about 6 years now and always wanted to try and make my own. So first i went to the Munny website and downloaded the Template they have and started working out ideas. The one I choose was the idea of making a Dragon Boy.
As you can see, my daughter liked this design so much she tried to draw on it as well.
Once i had my idea I went to the craft store and bought some air drying clay so i could make the Spikes and ears for the Munny. What I bought was  Filmo Air: light. it is extremely easy to use and as light weight, if not more so, than the material the vinyl doll is made out of. here is what he looked like after I added the ears and spike. It was also at this point that I decided that I would make his tail a lot smaller than the one in the design.


Once the Clay is dry it can slip off pretty easily since the vinyl doll is a smooth surface. So I took all the clay pieces off, sanded them smooth, and then glued them back on with craft glue.
The next step was to paint him and I had decided early on that I was going to do this with Acrylic paint since I have a ton of acrylic paint. I started with drawing with "The Marker" that came with the munny doll some lines to mark off areas where the face started and the boundary for the tummy and such, and then I started to lay in my foundation with the paint. It was then I realized that I should have never used the Marker that came with the doll for this AT ALL. Apparently this marker is not alcohol based and has a tendency to bleed through acrylic paint, no matter how many layers I laid in. so I had to scrap off the all  the paint with a razor blade and clean off the marker then repaint the thing again. Fun times, I'll tell you. Here is what I ended up with.
Once this was done came the scary part. Adding all the details. This required forethought and and patience, as well as the willingness to keep at it and rework mistakes if they happened. I think I did well. Here is the little guy after I finished painting him.




Now he just needs the Bandanna around his neck and he is done.




You can get Munny dolls at Barnes and Noble, as well as at toy stores. You can also just order one from online at: http://sites.kidrobot.com/munnyworld/

2 comments:

  1. hi there was just wondering,
    does the air dry clay stick firmly to the munny?
    i've been meaning to try this myself but is abit unsure about the use of the clay
    by the way, ur munny looks great !

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it doesn't. i used model glue and stuck it on with that after I sanded the dry clay.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete